From The PSPedia2
As with other games in the Phantasy Star Universe series, there are four races to choose from when creating a character, each with their own strengths and weaknesses. These races are humans, newmans, casts and beasts.
The race from which the other races in the Gurhal system originate. Their strength lies in their balanced overall abilities, and they can handle any battle type with ease.
- Humans have the highest defensive stats - DEF, MND and STA - of any race.
- Humans can equip and use mirage blasts from character level 10 onwards. They can exclusively use dark attribute mirage blasts, but they cannot use light attribute ones.
A new-type race created to be the dominant species on planet Neudaiz. Has high TEC and MND, and is skilled with technics.
- Newmans have especially high PP and TEC, and are highly suited to being Forces.
- Newmans have low HP, ATK and DEF, and are not suited to melee combat.
- With the second-highest ACC after Casts and good PP, newmans are good with ranged weapons.
- Newmans can equip and use mirage blasts from character level 10 onwards. They can exclusively use light attribute mirage blasts, but they cannot use dark attribute ones.
- Since the damage of mirage blasts is based on TEC, newmans can do more damage with them than Humans.
Artificial life forms that mostly dwell on planet Parum. Their high accuracy and precision is astounding. Particularly skilled with guns.
- Casts have high ACC, which has a big effect on the damage ranged weapons do, and are particularly suited to being Rangers.
- Despite being hit easily due to low EVA, casts are cut out for melee combat thanks to their high HP, ATK and DEF.
- Casts are poor with technics, and receive heavy damage form them due to their low MND.
- Despite having the fastest rate of PP recovery, casts have the lowest overall PP and thus cannot use many PP-consuming abilities consecutively compared to the other races.
- Casts can equip and use SUV weapons from character level 10 onwards.
- Casts are the only race able to equip parts, however, they cannot wear clothes.
A genetically engineered race that lives in the harsh environment of Moatoob. They are physically strong and prefer melee combat.
- Beasts have especially high HP, ATK, and EVA and are suited to being Hunters or Vanguards.
- Beasts are somewhat poor at firing ranged weapons rapidly and casting technics due to their low rate of PP recovery.
- Beasts can use nanoblasts from character level 10 onwards. They gain new nanoblast forms at levels 20, 30, 40 and 50.
Gender has a small effect on character stats in Phantasy Star Portable 2, though usually not large enough to make a massive difference. In general:
- Males have around 5% more HP, ATK, DEF and EVA.
- Females have around 5% more ACC, TEC and MND. They also have a larger PP pool and thus regenerate more PP per second than males.
Note that both beasts and newmans are given an S rating in EVA, while no race has an A. This is because for all practical intents and purposes newman and beast EVA is identical. At level 200, newman EVA pulls ahead by no more than 1-2 points depending on type (assuming type level 30) - thus giving beast an A would be misleading, as it would imply there were an actual significant difference between the two races' EVA stats.